On the Frontier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That night, and Mission Two

5 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

That night, and Mission Two - Page 4 Empty Re: That night, and Mission Two

Post by Michelangelo Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:11 am

"Oh. Brilliant! That will also suffice nicely. Thank you for your enthusiasm, Stella!"

E: "Also, I may wish to take my turn keeping watch, if any of you would like to try to grab what sleep you can. I'll be up having a word with this fellow soon as he wakes, regardless."

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanaba Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Stella finally closes her eyes to take some well-deserved downtime.

Nanaba

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Pyotr kicks the bandit, kicks Michelangelo, kicks the air a little, punches Dominic's stupid fucking face, and lies on the ground.

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by sheikiebaby Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Dominic gives Pyotr The People's Elbow before dozing off and cursing a billion times.

sheikiebaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Pyotr dreams of Dominic dying a thousand deaths, each worse than the last.

He smiles in his sleep.

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 pm

"Ow! Ruffian!" Michelangelo hisses at Pyotr while nursing a light bruise.

He then turns to the bandit and laboriously drags him further back in the canyon, towards the stones. So much for a team effort handling the negotiation. Oh, but soon, they'll all be standing at attention.

Michelangelo finally heaves the bandit into a spot with a good seated view of the surrounding terrain, and produces a sunrod from his kit. He then waits for the bandit to regain consciousness, poking him with the sunrod (without activating it) and cooing every once in a while.

"Yoo-hooooooo~
Greet the sun rooooooood~"

Last edited by Michelangelo on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by DefeatistElitist Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 am

The bandit begins to regain consciousness after about ten minutes. Realizing his position, he starts to struggle against his bonds, before looking up at Michelangelo.

DefeatistElitist
Admin

https://onthefrontier.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 am

"Perfect! Yes, good morning to you, sir bandit, if that is your real name!" Michelangelo laughs tersely. "Apologies for the ropes and such, but it's hard to be sure anybody's listening to you out here, unless they have nothing better to do!" He laughs a little louder. "But yes, let's fill each other in on some things, shall we?"

Michelangelo activates the sunrod, hopefully illuminating their surroundings somewhat.
"When we came upon this canyon, many bodies we took to be bandits were strewn around it, dead at the hands of some curious elemental phenomena, the likes of aggressive constructs of mud and murderous dust clouds. So we gathered."
He turns back to the bandit and points the sunrod at his face. "Is my assumption that you're of the same group they were, and therefore may already have at least some knowledge of this place and its potential value a correct one, then?"

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by DefeatistElitist Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:04 am

"Yeah, some of us have been here before. What's it to you?"

DefeatistElitist
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:09 pm

"Oh, let us forgo this air of guardedness. We know this land is somehow magical, and-"
Michelangelo reaches into his kit and brings out a "souvenir" stone.
"-valuable. But in a few days, so will all of Haus, unless your friends have already silenced the sheriff, his entourage, and any in town who may have heard whispers of this place? I'd think they must have returned since leaving midday, so unless the town has been utterly sacked in our absence, I should doubt that. I think."

He holds up the stone directly between his gaze and the bandit's.
"And Haus will be paying a lot more attention to -this- when they know what they're sitting on. I'd wager some tendrils of theirs will be here in force in a matter of days, force outlaws would be fools to try withstanding. Tell me, where does this leave you? You and your fellows might make something tonight if you can carry off a single night's haul of whatever loose stones are just lying around, but I can tell the makings of a mining rush when I see one. That's what'll really make some of us for life."

Michelangelo stows the stone without backing away.
"Nonetheless, you're still sitting on an advantage, aren't you? This is where you and I come in- where there's one stash tucked away, I'm willing to wager there's more. I should think your bandit gangs would know the lay of the land out on the frontier at least as well as most scouts could traverse it, so you're in a position to scour it for magical phenomena that may hint at another. Even moreso with a little bit of [sic] investment."
He produces a bag of coin.
"From a legitimate source, of course. When your friends get here, you join them, healed, of course, you go back to your colleagues without further bloodshed, and tell them the Assanta Empire has an offer to make them. What say you?"

[A Diplomacy and Insight roll, for the hell of it:

Dip Roll(1d20)+7:
19,+7
Total: 26

Ins Roll(1d20)+9:
7,+9
Total: 16 ]

Spoiler:

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by DefeatistElitist Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 pm

As Michelangelo returns to the others, he hears the unmistakable sound of people approaching, this time with no attempt at stealth. A light rounds the corner ahead, and he can see figures approaching.

"Looks like that will be them," says the captured bandit, "What's your plan?"

DefeatistElitist
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Pyotr wakes up, startled.

"Fuck this. Fuck them. Ffffffffuck youuu," he grumbles. "Hurhghhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrr."

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Michelangelo's grin gives the impression that his face is about to fold in on itself, in spite of his slightly droopy eyelids. He turns to address the party.

"Be at ease, all! I may have found an opportunity to reach a peaceful arrangement. In exchange for a cessation of hostilities and a respectful parting of ways, we may send our new potential friend-" He gestures towards the bandit. "-back to his comrades unharmed, so that he may deliver a token of compensation I have offered. All I need from you three to end this long night is your approval."

Michelangelo performs a drowsy little bow.
After a pause, he looks up only to see he hasn't actually woken Stella or Dominic yet.

"ACH! WAKE UP YOU TWO, BANDITS HERE BUT IT'S FINE WILL MAKE A DEAL SEND THIS GUY BACK THEY LEAVE NO MORE FIGHTING IT'LL BE PERFECT OKAY PERFECT."

Last edited by Michelangelo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanaba Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Stella grumbles and gets up.

Nanaba

Back to top Go down

Post by sheikiebaby Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Dominic gets up lazily.

"You better get this done real quick or I'm gonna shoot someone."

sheikiebaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Michelangelo attempts to hide his surprise at that having gone so smoothly.
"Quick as the wind, Brother!"

He unties and heals the bandit, then hands him a sack holding 1,000 GP.
"To new beginnings."
He motions the bandit towards the corner.

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Pyotr grabs Michelangelo and brings him aside. He half-whispers:

"Why would the big names use fucking bandits as scouts when they've got their own fucking slaves? What the fuck was that contrived shit? Do you think a fucking bandit will just accept that the government will give him loads of money for no fucking reason? Do you think he won't just bring the gold back to his fucking bandit buddies and use the gold to clean his arse? WHAT HAPPENED TO DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH BANDITS"

He turns around, looks at the bandit, says audibly, "No offense."

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 am

Michelangelo half-whispers back:

"All right, maybe I untied him a bit hastily. That said, how about you try getting anything done around here without magical explosions, and-"
Michelangelo takes a deep breath.
"So. Wait, slaves? Did we see that any of the bandits had- oh let's just put that aside for a moment. So!"
He speeds up. "My perspective, dear Pyotr, is thus-fold. One, someone who makes a living robbing ought to know an opportunity to score a payday when they see one, and furthermore ought to be hungry enough to hit a score big enough to set themselves for life on, and furthermore he ought to know that whoever he answers to would be doubly interested in such an opportunity. Two, we might just have one of those opportunities! I mean, just look at those... rocks, for lack of a a more descriptive designation. We have a chance to get in on something big, you must see that! We could be, I mean, not just rich, but powerful if we find more out there! And we stand to benefit by working together; they could provide labor, (even if they'll only work so far as finding the stuff as opposed to doing the heavy lifting mining it,) I could provide funding, say, for the logistics of it, and you- well, you could not mess it up, preferably."

He exhales through his teeth and attempts to collect himself. "Three, if I didn't give him any money, he wouldn't have had any reason to believe I could pay him anything further, you need to impress these sorts right out the gate to get them on something like your side. (And I totally can! Once, uh, the letter goes through, and there'll probably be some more money from the sheriff in the meantime, or at least I hope so, and- damn it it's not like I gave him your gold! I am [basically] an ambassador I know what I am doing.) Four, dear Pyotr, I am not the Haussian government, I am an Assanta cleric. And they just decided to send me on some errands, without asking who I was. For that matter, what about you? Are you telling me that you work for Haus? With my apologies, I somehow sincerely doubt you are acting as more than a mercenary in their temporary employ. And do you think that nigh-child over there is Haus-trained? And Stella, as well, plainly a Nomestan refugee? No, as far as they are concerned, we are all free agents! Let us not spurn the freedom to act which that status entails!"

Michelangelo once more makes a conscious effort to keep his voice from becoming too loud, a bit calmer by this point. "Five, even if the bandit simply takes the money and runs, then he and his friends aren't our problem any more, at least for tonight. Bit of gold well-spent, I should think. Have to spend to make, anyway."

He continues to speed up. "Sixth, what is it with you and bandits? They're men and women who need to make a living like any others. It's just, they happen to make theirs in a particularly opportunistic way. Generally, at the expense of others. I mean, not that I don't think that's a bit repugnant, but they're disenfranchised, not stupid, and they ought to know an opportunity when they see one, I should think. I mean, not that stupid, or at least not savage, remember Rob Sharp? I mean- I mean maybe they're stupid, maybe a bit savage, but I doubt they're stupid and savage insofar as they'll pass up both an opportunity to make bank and a promise to make more when offered- Pyotr can you just let me have this."

He tries to do a pleading face, but at this point Pyotr probably can't tell whether Michelangelo is smiling or about to eat him.

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:03 pm

OOC: jesus christ. just. give me a while

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm

"When Haus come, do you think they will give a shit what kinds of deals an Assanta cleric struck? Also, I'm a guy trying to make a living but nobody ever thinks about that when they set me on fire, it fucking sucks"

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:57 pm

"That's one of the best parts! If it works, there won't be any evidence of a deal at all, because the bandits will just leave! At least for tonight. We can say we drove them off, and it'll basically be true! And really, even if we told them the truth, what's the difference to Haus between a dead bandit and a paid-off one, as long as neither are raiding their claims any more?"

Michelangelo clasps Pyotr's shoulders. "My good man, where we're headed, you may never have to worry about being set on fire again. You are currently making a living as a guard. I want you to imagine a living, as a magic fuel baron."

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:17 pm

"Alright. Tell me what the magic fuel does. Who are its users? Who are its buyers? Are there major established suppliers of it? What does the market look like in relation to magic fuel barons? I AM A MAN WITH A MISSION"

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm

This set of questions gives Michelangelo notable pause. "Well. We would, ideally, be the major suppliers, if we can get the right investment together, and. You and Stella said you could feel the stones have arcane power, right? I've never seen these stones before myself, so I was sort of assuming they were rare, and if they have magic power, I'd imagine they have the potential to be at least as valuable as, say, gold maybe? And, uh, the users. Uh."

Eventually:
"Pyotr, I want you to imagine a color that you have never seen before, and have no name for. No, wait, that's a rubbish way to explain it. I want you to imagine that you have just come upon wood, and you have been living in a world where nobody has ever seen wood before. There are no boats in this world- yet. Wait rrgh no, that doesn't quite explain it, I mean. Oh, fine, I have no exact answers for any of those yet. B-but haven't you ever just, gotten a feeling about doing something, where you thought to yourself 'THIS IS MY DESTINY!' You can feel magic emanating from the stones, correct? Can't you feel the destiny, too?!"

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyotr Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:39 am

Pyotr looks down and whispers,

"No"

Pyotr

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelangelo Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm

"I can! And even if it all goes wrong and they attack us even after taking the money, then we'll just fight them off like we were probably all expecting to do tonight, none the worse. We'll have our answer in a moment."

Michelangelo, a bit too cheerful at the moment, looks towards the approaching light, and pulls out a sunrod.

Michelangelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum